Honorary Awards, Awards, Scholarships & Merits
- CT ACE Women’s Network (CTAWN) 2019 Friend of Women in Higher Education Award, March 2019.
- IEEE Region 1 Technological Innovation (Academic) Award, September 2019.
- Nominee, National Teacher Award, American Society for Engineering Education, January 2019.
- Awarded, UB Distinguished Service Award, April, 2016.
- Nominated for the Debra W. Stewart Award for Outstanding Leadership in Graduate Education, January, 2016.
- Gold CQIA Innovation Prize, 29th Annual Conference, The CQIA innovation prize, a division of the Connecticut Quality Improvement Award Inc., for the CISSE: First Online Research Engineering Conference in the World, June, 2015.
- Forensic Exhibit at the Wonderworks Indoor Amusement Park, April, 2015.
- Entrepreneur Innovation Awards CTNext, Connecticut's Entrepreneurial Ecosystem, 2015.
- Nominated, for The Connecticut Science Center STEM Achievement Award, February 2015.
- ASEE Northeast Section Engineering Professor of the year 2015 Award, February 2015.
- Member, IBM Partner World , Global Entrepreneur, October, 2014.
- Connecticut Innovations - Entrepreneur Innovation Award - 2014.
- Connecticut Quality Improvement Award - “E-Proctor” Face Recognition App 2014.
2013 Tech Company to Watch Award, 7th Annual Connecticut Innovation Summit Awarded to Facechecks, A Connecticut
Startup Company [Founding Partner] November 2013.
- Appreciation and Gratitude Award, Saudi Students Club at The University of Bridgeport, 2013.
- Commendation, University of Bridgeport Board of Trustees, May 2013.
- Connecticut Quality Improvement Award - “Dorm Security” Face Recognition App 2013.
Silver Medal Award , The Connecticut Quality Improvement Award; Awarded to Facechecks, A Connecticut
Startup Company [Founding Partner] June 2013.
- Member, Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (CASE), February 2011.
Distinguished Professor of Engineering and Computer
Science. Unanimously named by the University of Bridgeport Board of Trustees, February 2010.
- Fellow, African Academy of Sciences, elected in December 2009.
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) 2008 - Professional Recruitment Regional Award.
- Named Director, Connecticut Center for Advanced Technologies (CCAT) Center for Robotic Simulation (2008)
- First Place, American Society for American Education (ASEE) Zone 1 meeting, Student Research Poster supervision, West Point, NY, March 2008.
- $2.4 million in scholarships - University of Bridgeport and the Connecticut Pre-Engineering Program (CPEP), December 2007.
- ASEE Award, Campus Representative, (2007).
- ASEE Section Winner for Professional Recruitment (2007).
- Honorary membership - Arab Healthy Water Association (AHWA) (2007).
- Nominated for the Connecticut Medal of Science (2007).
- Nominated for Membership in the World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) (2007).
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi, National Honor Society, since March 2006
- "A Tool for Data Structure Visualization and User-defined Algorithm Animation", by Chen, Tibrewal and Sobh, in the Journal of STEM Education, was noted as the number one referenced article in the history of the Journal.
- "Online Automation and Control: An Experiment in Distance Engineering Education", Sarosh Patel and Tarek Sobh, presented at the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) New England Section Conference, March 2006, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, was voted as the "Best Paper in Session".
- University of Bridgeport Service Award, 2006
- Nominated for the Connecticut Medal of Science (2005).
- Honorary Membership, Delta Mu Delta (The National Honor Society for Business Administration, Connecticut Theta Delta Chapter), for exceptional performance and achievements in leading and managing the School of Engineering as a business unit at the University of Bridgeport from 1999-2002.
- AMSE Honorary Life Membership awarded October 1999.
- World Automation Congress (WAC 98) Best Paper Award, for the paper entitled: "Automated Tolerance Specification Across Sensing, Design and Manufacturing," Alaska, May 1998.
- Chosen by Schlumberger Oil Company for an international summer internship in 1987 (one of two selected from among 1500 junior engineering students in Alexandria University.)
- International Student Exchange Fellowship for Computer Research in Denmark, 1991.
- University of Pennsylvania Research Fellowship, 1989-1991.
- University of Pennsylvania Teaching Fellowship 1988.
- Alexandria University Scholarship, for academic achievements, 5 times, 1983-1988
- Degree of Honor, Alexandria University, 1988.
- Member, Tau Beta Pi (The National Engineering Honor Society.)
- Member, Phi Beta Delta (The International Honor Society, Alpha Omicron Chapter.)
- Member, Sigma Xi (The National Scientific Research Society.)
- Member, Upsilon Pi Epsilon (The National Honor Society for the Computing Sciences, Connecticut Delta Chapter.)
- Certificates of Merit and Victoria College Cups from Victoria College, for academic and extracurricular achievements 1979-1983.